CMGA General Info

In my neck of the woods May Day nectar-rich flowers were sparse, so this black swallowtail sailed back and forth between our two native Phlox serrulata perennials nearly an entire afternoon and came back the following morning.
Photo by Cindy Murray.

Welcome to the Coconino County Master Gardeners Association blog. The mission of the Master Gardener Program is to create a corps of well-informed volunteers, and to deliver quality horticultural education programs adapted to our regional high elevation environment. The purpose of the association is to provide support for those volunteers and Master Gardener graduates, continuing education, and opportunities to participate in community programs that increase the visibility and participation in the Master Gardener Program.
The Coconino Master Gardener Association (2009) began in 2009. This blog contains information on:
-How to become a member
-Volunteer and Education hours reporting
-Calendar of Events
-General gardening information articles
-Master Gardener Association Documents and forms
-References and Resources
-Interesting Websites and Blogs
-Old Gardening Etcetera columns
-Recipes
-Book Reviews
-How to contact Board or Committee Members
Meetings are held monthly on the 2nd Thursday from 600pm - 8;30pm. We meet at the Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church at 1601 N. San Francisco. This includes continuing education and a business meeting.

Reporting Master Gardener Hours

All master gardener trainees and certified master gardeners need to report their hours.
Beginning in 2010 certified master gardeners need to have 6 Education hours and 12 Volunteer hours in order to maintain certification.The on line reporting system allows you to report Education or Volunteer hours. You can sign in to record hours in the right hand column under Recording Volunteer and Education Hours. Just click on the U. of A.
If you have any questions or concerns about the new reporting system, please contact Brenda Smith (A - M) or Sue Madden (N - Z). Their contacts are listed at the bottom of the blog under
Contacts.



Ideas for hours------
--Attend monthly meetings
--Work on an association committee
--Work at an informational booth for the Master Gardeners
--Be a speaker about gardening topics at a variety of venues

--Host a garden tour
--Work at a fundraising event (Plant Sale - Garden Tour).
--Work at a MG site (Olivia White Hospice, the Arboretum, Riordan Mansion, or school gardens (many others)). Check out the Assoc. Doc. & Forms under Volunteer Sites.
--Work in the Extension office
--Write an article for the newspaper column -Gardening Etcetera
-Volunteer with the Seed Library
Be creative! There are many ways to fulfill your hours. Just remember for volunteering it needs to be a non-profit endeavor or an approved for profit site.

Change in Contact Information

Have you moved or changed your e-mail address, but would still like to be contacted about high elevation gardening information from the Extension? The Coconino County Extension Master Gardener Program has a site that will let you change your information on-line.

Click here to change your contact information!

Event Calendar

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Farmstand from Julie McDonald

 

From: Julie McDonald Sent: Monday, March 15, 2021, 01:22:16 PM MST

Subject: Farmstand! This Wednesday afternoon and Saturday morning ! 5 Different Perennials, EGGS! Seeds, and the Garage Sale continues! Hello Farmstand Friends! This Wednesday, March 17 from 1-4pm, and Saturday morning, March 20, from 9-11am, the Farmstand begins in earnest here at my home, 3191 Cooper in Cheshire! The Farmstand is going to be GREAT this year! I will be offering a variety of perennials dug from my yard, ready to go into your yard! A couple of weeks ago, on one of our nice days, I dug a large number of plants, potted them and put them in the greenhouse. I have a good number ready to go. See what they are further down on the email. I also have on order lots of great things that will be arriving the end of March. Bouquets begin soon as well. Today, through Saint Patrick's Day, my eBook, the True Story of Saint Patrick of Ireland is FREE on Amazon! It is in my top 5 favorite stories I have done:) I have lots of new customers, so here are guidelines to make sure your visit is more enjoyable:

1) If I don't say your name in 5 seconds, please tell me your name.

2) I start promptly at the time on the email. I don't want to cause hard feelings among customers, so I don't open, or sell early.

3) Occasionally, I have to limit items so that everyone can get some. I will have these items marked.

4) My math skills are poor. I really DO EXPECT that you will add up your purchases for a total. I trust your math, much more than my own! There is a change can on the cart in the garage. You can make your own change from the can. Sometimes the right change is depleted, or, if you are not comfortable with making your own, I will be happy to get your change. If you forget the price of the plant, I can help with that as well, as long as there is NO MATH involved, I will be extremely happy!

5) I like to get all the pots, quart size and smaller, even the Styrofoam cups, when it is convenient for you to bring them back. I also like to get the frappuccino jars returned which I use for vases. This is how I can keep my prices so low, I continually recycle these, over and over again, and do not have to purchase them. I can take decorative pots, or other garden items that I sell or give away. I can't take any plastic pot, 1 gallon or larger. For now, I have lots of plastic bags.

 6) If an item is advertised in the email, and you don't see it, please ask. I might have more, or, sometimes I forget to bring things out!

7) Bring a plastic bin or tote to put your plants in. A cardboard box, lined with plastic will also work. Potted plants don't do well in bags, as they don't stay upright and can damage one another.

 8) Dogs are welcome at the Farmstand. They must be leashed, no inappropriate sniffing, growling or barking.

 9) I do take checks, but can't take credit cards.

10) I can usually act as the, "Plant Pound," and take excess perennials or houseplants, but check with me first before bringing them.

NEW THIS WEEK!

-Arizona Native Columbine, great for Flagstaff, hardy likes shade. Price range of 1-4.00 depending on size. Perennial Bachelor Button, a great plant, I always run out quickly! Royal Blue flowers bloom in June. Comes back each year, very hardy, sun to part shade. Multiplies in a clump and spreads some by seed. After it blooms, trim back severely, to about 6-8 inches, for a second flush of new growth and flowers. Price range of 3.00-5.00 depending on size.

-Gloriosa Daisies, gorgeous, spectacular 3-5 inch flowers in July, till frost, especially if you keep them cut. -Great bouquets that last for two week, shades of yellows, rust and maroon. Full Sun to shade. Best to buy at least three to get good cross pollination. This ensures you get a variety of colors in future years. You will want to group them in one area. I have some to start, more coming in the next few weeks. 1-4.00, depending on size.

-Ox-eye daisies, bloom in June, flower is a smaller version of

Shasta Daisy, leaves and stems are smaller and more delicate. Extremely hardy! 1.00-3.00 depending on size.

-Dragons Blood Sedum, fast growing and extremely hardy ground cover, sun or part shade. Can also be used as a houseplant. Very pretty, 3.00 each. This initial run of plants are all ready to go in now! Or, you can leave them on the porch, in a tray so they don't dry out, until you are ready to plant.

I should have daffodil bouquets by Saturday! 1.00 each, and new this year, a 2.00 size.

-I will have lots of eggs! You can get up to 3 dozen this week. I am giving my suppliers a raise to 3.50 and myself a 50 cent raise. They are now 5.00 a dozen. I will also not try to predict how many eggs I might have on any given week as that makes me CRAZY! The hens are too unpredictable and try as I might, I am wrong more often than right, causing anxiety for myself and disappointment for my customers. I will only state the supplies when I actually have them in MY OWN REFRIGERATOR! I also can use egg cartons for my suppliers, 12 pack, cardboard only, no 18 pack, Styrofoam or plastic.

-Rocks and Toys are back! Each child gets a free toy from the toy bin, any additional toys are 25cents. Really Cool Rocks are 8 for 1.00 FREESTAND has moved 4 feet to the dresser in the garage where I have free postcards, books and other things. The 5X7, local, scenic, postcards are from my business and are either flawed, damaged or discontinued. Still very usable for a variety of things!

-I have seeds. -

-Sweet peas are ready to go in now!

- I will also have trailing nasturtiums (limited supply) and Picotee cosmos (lots), plant in May. All packets are 1.00 each. I have a few house plants, small, 3.00 each, Flaming Katie's, cactus, and Mona Lavender. I will have lots of local honey, 12.00, lip balm, 3.00 and a variety of soaps, 2.00. I have my hand knit, 100% cotton, reusable cloths, 1.00 each. Great for dishes, counters, general cleaning, face or body. I still have lots of Peacock Feathers, 1.00, 50 cents and 3/1.00 All my books are available, including my new gardening book, High Altitude Gardening for the Intermountain West, and all the Pioneer History books. 10.00 each or 3/20.00. I will be offering a number of book specials this season as well. The garage sale continues! I have to get all this stuff out of my garage so I can get the Farmstand going. Things just "show up" here! I have lots of things for FREE! Many things are 25 cents and a few things are a little higher. It's bargain central! There are more items than were here 2 weeks ago! I have a number of children's things, more housewares and kitchen items. I also have a compost bin, homemade for 5, and a quilt rack for 5. Hope to see you soon! Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment